Resolved
1.2
Style and Design

Update by user Nov 02, 2017

Acceptance Now only cares about Acceptance Now.Both customers and partners/retailers do not benefit from this worthless company.

I'm not speaking as a customer or employee of Acceptance Now. I work for one of their partners (though I am not speaking for my employer), and through both first-hand experience with one of their employees and viewing the comments/reviews obviously written by their employees, I can tell you that they are without a doubt the most unprofessional, sketchy, and under-qualified people that you can possibly encounter. I don't understand why we offer them as a financing option, but it isn't my call. I'm just happy that their employee is finally out of our store so that customers turn to ask me questions before dealing with these sleazy ***.

I always explain our one other “no-credit” option’s (Progressive) terms as an alternative, state every important detail (even down to the $27 fee charged for declined payments), and as a result we never have a customer complain about paying 2x more or canceling after going home and reading the paperwork. And, guess what, it's because I spent the 3 extra minutes required to explain it to them! So much gosh darn work! At the worst, they say, "Never mind" and turn around or opt for a lay-a-way.

We typically still get the sale, and they get a thorough explanation verbally and in writing. Better than dealing with a cancellation after merchandise is delivered. By the way, you pay about 3x more than the retail value at the end when you are "financed" through Acceptance Now. And it's obvious that "knowing what you're talking about" and "treating customers like human beings" is a common issue with their company.

Both Progressive Leasing and Acceptance Now are "no-credit" options, yet somehow only one has employees harassing their own customers over mostly anonymous reviews on the Internet and (high) payments that are less than 2 weeks late. Both have many people who didn't understand the terms. Acceptance of poor credit inevitably results in this; it is the creditor’s duty to ensure the balance can be collected and/or reported should the account fall to a defaulted status. The customer must also read and agree to this term, provided that it is in the lease agreement.

One charges far less in the long run. One also explains everything to the retailer so that they can provide their own, full, educated explanation of the option's terms and answer the customer's questions about the agreement. One also gives me consistent answers when I call to ask a question about the terms for a customer. Guess which is which?

To anyone looking for a no-credit "financing" option (it's really a lease-to-own option, and I can't even tell you what you have to pay to own it because they won't tell me): don't choose this company even if you are desperate. If you are desperate, you're just going to drown yourself in even more problems in the long run. It's not worth it. This is also coming from someone who rebuilt their credit from rubble and unfortunate circumstances.

This is NOT how you improve your credit. There is the obvious complaint of a lack of explanation upon signing the agreement. They don't seem to require much from their employees. The one that I dealt with did absolutely nothing all day -- I would be scrambling around our understaffed office to keep up with our typically ridiculous amount of issues to resolve, payments, sales, etc.

-- and I could glance over at their employee's desk at any moment and see them with earphones in, watching a movie, talking on the phone, eating, or moving the mouse around on the computer (which almost never had anything pulled up) to pretend to do actual work. I don't think they have the same requirement that my office has, which is a reasonable requirement for employment given the fact that we offer our own financing (for customers with fair credit): a good credit score on the employee's part. Actually, I KNOW they don't require it; the same employee applied to work for us and was turned down due to poor credit. We NEED to be able to answer questions about financing.

We NEED to understand how payments and interest work. The most their employee could seem to offer customers in terms of interest rates went along the lines of, "Yeah, ours is high! That's how we build your credit!" despite the fact that, like all other no-credit options, they claim no liability on actually reporting positive information. And I never heard any remotely detailed explanations of payments.

I tell customers and write everything down even if they don't ask. They need to know! How the *** else do you get your money? Solely by preying on the people who didn't see how terrible your company is and cave in when you physically stalk them for being a day late?

I guess grace periods don’t exist anymore? Sure, it's all in the fine print. Sure, you can be unrealistic and expect your customers to scrutinize the contract and fully understand it -- for Acceptance Now, the customers most likely have poor credit, which could mean that they don't often understand or read the fine print without assistance. We all think differently and encounter our own issues in life; it's not your *** customer's fault, and you shouldn't treat the person providing you with money like ***.

Especially since you (Acceptance Now) receive over 2x more than the invoice total at the end than we ( the retailer ) do, and we probably do more work in 2 days than you do in 2 years, AND we take better care of the customer when they get fed up with your poor service and turn to us for help, even though our company gets paid next to nothing extra for this apparently backbreaking phone call. Or it leads to an actual complicated repossession because Acceptance Now employees are both lazy and incredibly stupid and do not understand that no initial payment received = can’t get merchandise, sorry. Unless you're deliberately trying to agitate your customers and get endless shitty reviews as a result, you should probably explain the highlights of the fine print. It's not like your employees have anything better to do with their time, but I guess they don't seem to like the idea of getting paid for doing anything more than nothing.

Or they're just deliberately not cautious about anything because they enjoy harassing people later. Summary so far: don't feel bad if an Acceptance Now employee harasses you about poor credit or because their credit is probably even shittier. Next point: they're bad for the retailer. They're honestly a waste of space and resources.

Even worse, they'll attempt to screw the retailer over every now and then. Given the numerous times they have repeated the same mistakes with us, I think that it's deliberate. It's difficult to bill a leasing company when they haven't even received a payment yet; ***, we couldn't receive our full payment for the merchandise until they collected the initial payment from the customer. Still, the employee would hand us paperwork and tell us to reserve/deliver merchandise that had NO money paid towards it.

In the case that the customer didn't make the initial payment, this would mean that we essentially sent out free merchandise that was the property of Acceptance Now. Or no one, since nothing was ever even fully signed in those cases, and their employees are so under-trained that they probably don't even understand the word "inventory" or how vital it is to the accounting process, especially in the case of a company with multiple stores that share merchandise. And we would ask this employee if the payment was collected, and they would always scoff over having to say a single word pertaining to work, walk off, then proceed to get pissed off when we refused to reserve the merchandise. How hard is it to say one phrase?

"No, they didn't pay their ridiculous $400 initial payment," or, "Yes, they did pay their ridiculous $400 initial payment." In a couple of other cases, the employee responded with a lie so we would reserve the merchandise. Thanks to the fact that we actually do our jobs, we always noticed this before delivering anything. And we would spend a week or more trying to extract an actual answer from this lazy moron, always met with scoffing because lifting a finger is too much work. I've never seen customer service that is worse than theirs.

And I've never worked near a lazier person. Most of all, being affiliated with this company is bad for your own company's image. The "saved" sales that were denied for good financing options are most likely far less than the losses accrued from people reading the reviews of Acceptance Now or knowing of the poor reputation and avoiding the retailer in response, assuming the retailer is displaying their obnoxious bait that they call advertisements in plain sight. Over the course of maybe 10 months, we had about 20 customers who chose Acceptance Now.

20. Does that sound like a lot given the time period? Does it sound like they have much to keep up with? Doesn't it sound like they'd probably have the time to provide decent customer service?

Assuming each invoice total on our part was $1000 (an overestimate), that would be $20,000 earned over the course of nearly a year, which is less than or equal to the amount earned in ONE busy day, or about FOUR slow days. Any customer who sees the signs for this option could easily opt to go somewhere else because of the terrible image, and you can't easily estimate how high that loss is, but it's pretty safe to assume that it's more than 20 people over 10 months. Especially when you almost never have less than 20 people interested in purchasing per day. And especially when you've received numerous calls from customers complaining about the financing company, not realizing that it has little to do with your own.

For retailers, why should this option even be offered when it is a) not profitable considering what was mentioned prior, and b) an extremely negative experience for nearly all customers, and c) making you look like an equally scummy company because you advertise that you are affiliated with them, and d) somehow worse than all other no-credit/lease-to-own options? This company thrives from misinforming everyone in the beginning and blaming people with poor credit for not understanding things that directly pertain to credit. If it was up to me, I would not affiliate my company with them. Given the word count here, you can probably tell that I actually give a *** about people, customers or not.

I don’t earn commission, but I know how hard it is to rebuild credit, and I know how aggressively these sorts of companies try to suck you in. And I would hate to see anyone fall for a scam like this. It frustrates me even more when the retailer isn’t even making a monetary profit from offering the scummy option, yet somehow, they offer both the a) 2x option with no useless representative sitting there to lie to you and b) 3x option with a useless representative sitting there to lie to you. Even assuming both lie, A) would be the better choice.

And they both pay the retailer the same *** price. One of my favorite quotes from their FAQ page was: Q: “Is this a credit sale? Am I stuck with long term debt?” A: “NO. AcceptanceNOW® offers flexible leasing agreements to let you enjoy the things you want today without the worry of long-term debt.

Unlike credit, you are in control. You have the choice to renew the lease by making affordable payments, buying out the agreement to own it sooner for less. It’s your choice.” Yes, you are in control of either a reasonable price with hidden terms or 3x more than the reasonable price with even MORE hidden terms! Speaking as AN: “Owing money” doesn’t equate to “debt” with us, but we’re going to harass you if you are one day late!

That’s not a debt collection it’s just a friendly house visit! Plus they’ll likely only report it to the credit bureaus if it is negative (like most in their requirement category), and you’ll have to directly ask for anything positive to be reported (like most in their category), but even then I can’t even confirm that it will be reported because they (AN Employees) can never give me or my employer a solid answer. In all honesty, you’re probably going to owe a massive amount of debt over small print that was poorly explained. In my opinion, (excuse the additional language) but *** the false promises, *** the misinformation, and *** everything else related to Acceptance Now.

Save your money and pay in full, pay Progressive in 90 days for slightly more than the invoice total, go for a Lay-A-Way, or find literally any company BUT Rent-A-Center/Acceptance Now.So sorry that you guys (RAC / Acceptance Now) don’t understand how competitive markets work.

Original review posted by user Nov 02, 2017

Save your money and pay in full, pay Progressive in 90 days for slightly more than the invoice total, go for a Lay-A-Way, or find literally any company BUT Rent-A-Center/Acceptance Now. So sorry you guys (RAC / Acceptance Now) don’t understand how competitive markets work.  As an employee of a retailer in a competitive market, I tell customers that they are permitted to provide their input, and it will be thoroughly discussed with the one affiliated with A.N. the longest.

Regardless of whether it pertains to my store, we are both dealing with the same unprofessional financing company in ideal conditions.This would positively contribute to the accuracy of my financing comparison regardless of whether the answer is, “yes.” Is a ~$1000 total (minus the buyout option) for ~$1000 worth of merchandise purchased equivalent to the current + past amount due?*

Comments